Voice for Change




As an undergraduate student, I am often asked by peers, professors, and parents about what I want to pursue in my future. While I can rattle off a list of qualifications and inform prying questioners that I intend to double major in Journalism and Political Science, it is difficult for me in short to put into words why I have chosen this course. Since elementary school, I have had a passion for public speaking and writing. I have also embraced what I view to be my God-given talent of leadership to easily build connections with others and bring groups of people together to achieve a common goal. These qualities led me to participate in my school's yearbook in the role of Head Sports Editor where I expanded my knowledge on the interviewing process and how to create a newsworthy story. My other leadership roles as a captain on my lacrosse team allowed me to bring my team together by motivating and inspiring team building to develop personal relationships transferable to better connections on the field. 


My interest in politics and current events has recently grown due to the intense political climate our country faces today. My passion for serving others paired with skills I have learned in the journalism field and natural talents has pushed me into a direction to make a positive impact on the world through changes in policy that will better serve Americans. While I have pondered career paths from a Whitehouse Correspondent to a Lobbyist, my drive to help others through the law remains consistent. 


There is not one reason I can pinpoint as to why I have chosen journalism as my future, because it comes from a deeper sense of the need to have a positive influence in the lives of others. I want to have the opportunity to use my voice to inspire changes in policy that will truly benefit families in their daily lives, and studying journalism has allowed me to sharpen my voice. While my future endeavors in the workforce are not set in stone, I do know that whichever career path presents itself, my passionate work ethic will guide me to speak and write for change.





This verse is a great representation of why I have been drawn to journalism. I hope to "Be the light" through my actions and ideas in published work as well as public speaking.


_____________________________________________________


For a better understanding of the ins and outs of journalism from a political perspective, I am currently reading For Such a Time as This: My Faith Journey through the White House and Beyond, by Kayleigh McEnany, former White House Press Secretary. Her insight of daily life at the Whitehouse has been very informative in my decision to continue pursuing political journalism. Click on the link above to learn more about her book! 

***

If you are considering what career path would be a good fit for you, the Princeton Review is 
an excellent resource to start. Check out the link below to take a short career quiz to see what field could be of your interest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War and the Press: Propaganda, Political Activity, and Covert Operations

Ida Tarbell: A Historical Muckraker